Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar Recap

I look forward to the Academy Awards every year. It is the Superbowl for Movie Buffs, as someone put it ever so nicely on Twitter. However, I do think this particular award's show - and many awards shows in general - are quite predictable. After months of back-room talk about whose nominated (and isn't in Nolan's case), conclusions start to be drawn far before the award's show as to who will take home the little golden man.

For the most part, I guessed most of the winners. Only a couple of categories surprised me and only two winners absolutely made me cheer in my seat. Even still, I love this awards show. It may not be as outlandish as other shows (i'm looking at you MTV movie Awards) but it is still a great way to celebrate film.

Here are the winners:
Best Picture - The King's Speech *predictable win in my opinion...and not the film i would have personally chosen

Actor in a Leading Role - Colin Firth "The King's Speech" *again, quite predictable. I was rooting for Esienberg or Franco, however.

Actor in a Supporting Role - Christan Bale "The Fighter" *congrats, Bale! Well deserved!

Actress in a Leading Role - Natalie Portman "Black Swan" *predictable win, but very deserved! I loved her in that role. Also, she looked amazing pregnant despite what a lot of people are saying. The dress was great for her baby bump.

Actress in a Supporting Role - Melissa Leo "The Fighter" *her acceptance was a wee bit wacky...

Animated Feature Film - Toy Story 3 *I loved this movie. It made me cry and think about my childhood. But...I was secretly rooting for How To Train Your Dragon in hopes of the biggest upset in all of Oscar history to happen. Alas, it did not.

Art Direction - Alice in Wonderland *I was not even aware that Harry Potter had been nominated. Now i am wishing it would have AT LEAST gotten this award just because i'm a fan. Alice is quite deserving, however.

Cinematography - Inception *DAMN RIGHT!

Costume Design - Alice in Wonderland *DAMN RIGHT AGAIN

Directing - Tom Hooper "The King's Speech" *There is a certain lack of Nolan in this category...Anyway, I am not surprised by the winner, but still a little taken aback considering the others that were nominated (oh, and the lack of Nolan. That's surprising...Did i mention that already?) Certainly the Coen Brothers are fantastic and even though i am not the biggest fan of The Social Network, Fincer did a great job with it. AND ARONOSKY IS JUST WOW. Oh, and Nolan. Wait, he wasn't nominated...

Documentary Feature - Inside Job *The only one I had heard of prior to the show was Exit Through the Gift Shop and only because I used to have a graffiti phobia

Documentary Short Budget - Stranger's No More *I need to see this...

Film Editing - The Social Network *meh, I can't argue with this one

Foreign Language Film - In a Better World *I didn't guess this one correctly, but now i want to see this movie!

Makeup - Wolfman *CALLED IT! When I saw this movie I thought the makeup was spectacular. I loved the look of the wolf. Best Wolf I have seen.

Music Original Score - The Social Network *I was shocked by this at first. Inception score was phenomenal (and I promise I'm not just saying that because i am a huge fan...) Now that the show is over, I can somewhat see the reasoning behind choosing The Social Network.

Music Original Song - Toy Story 3 "We Belong Together" *I was actually rooting for Country Strong's "Coming Home". I was not rooting AGAINST Toy Story 3 at this awards show, as it may seem, but I just felt like it and The King's Speech were such obvious winners of..well..everything.

Short Film (Animated) - The Lost Thing *NO! WHY NOT DAY AND NIGHT!? WHY! NOT!

Short Film (Live Action) - God of Love *Note to self: Watch all of the nominations.

Sound Editing - Inception *ahem...DAMN RIGHT.

Sound Mixing - Inception *oooo Salt was nominated! Too bad it had to go against THE JUGGERNAUT THAT OWNS MY SOUL. I LOVE INCEPTION.

Visual Effects - Inception *to be honest, I totally did not call this one. BUT, DAMN RIGHT

Writing (Adapted Screenplay) - The Social Network *duh, duh, duh

Writing (original screenplay) - The King's Speech *I DISAGREE, SIR.

Anyway, amazing show. I wonder what will be nominated for next year. Since I feel like 2011 is not that great of a year for movies (at all) there really is nothing I feel is Oscar worthy. I'm sure I could be potentially just missing some movies and that there has to be something that will be great for that show, but I feel that the few movies that I do think are worthy are too soon in the year to be considered [i.e. Water For Elephants] Its incredibly difficult for live action films to be considered if they are not from the summer to the end of the year. Water for Elephants is in April if i'm not mistaken.

The animated movies this year do not compare to How To Train Your Dragon and Toy Story 3. Rango seems like it will be hilarious as does Rio. I am thinking that Disney will probably take that award again next year with Winnie the Pooh.

No comments:

Post a Comment