Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Exorcism never looked so real: The Rite

Forget all those other movies you've seen about demonic possession. They're probably very fake looking compared to The Rite.

I had the choice of seeing two movies this past weekend and chose The Rite without really researching what i was getting myself into.

Inspired by true events, The Rite follows Michael Kovac (Colin O'Donoghue), a seminary student and son of a mortician who reluctantly attends Exorcism school at The Vatican. At this school he questions everything and anything holy and is eventually sent to watch Father Lucas (Anthony Hopkins) perform unorthodox methods of Exorcism.

The first thing I noticed about this movie is quick ironic for the subject matter - the movie was beautiful. The scenery - from the prestine Vatican to Lucas' slum house - was just magnificent and captivating. Every camera angle caught something brilliant.

But, most importantly, was the fact that this movie scared the Crap out of me. Whether you are a true believer or not, the movie makes everything seem so real. The possessions are some of the most realistic I have ever seen in a movie. You do not get heads spinning or projectile vomiting, but that just makes it all the more powerful and real. Because of this the movie was scary regardless of your faith.

Kovac has us questioning everything right along with him and at the penultimate moment we are right there for him, believing. I did not feel it necessary the way we arrived at that moment, with Kovac experiencing hallucinations, because i felt it contradicted some of the other 'facts' the movie put out there, but the actor was so superb that i can ignore that.

I'm glad I saw The Rite despite cringing in my seat and grabbing my date's hand. It was an excellent movie.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment