Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Movies That Excite Me: Prince of Persia


The movie released a couple days ago and reviews have been mixed. I'll be seeing the movie this weekend and here's how i feel about it before i go in:


I have not played the Prince of Persia games, unfortunately. Not that they haven't interested me, but i just have not played them. [note, however, that the newest game paired with the movie looks really really really bad] So, i am going into this movie as a Disney and Pirates of the Caribbean fan moreso then a person that has played the games. Even so, video game movies have been disapointing in the past. Video games offer up a new type of interaction that movies can not do. No matter how great a movie is - and i've seen some great ones - i still am very much aware of my surroundings, whether it be the crying baby a few rows up or the guy munching a bit to hard on his popcorn behind me. Video games allow me to immerse myself into a world and control a character to an extent. I do not understand how movies will be able to convey this, in my opinion, and even 3D movies can only do it to a certain point.


Even still, i have hopes that Prince of Persia will be an entertaining movie. A movie does not have to be earth shattering and move mountains in terms of new expressionalism or new cinema techniques to be entertaining. I personally feel that people have judged the movie too harshly [although, i am saying this WITHOUT having seen it yet. The trailers still look highly enjoyable]


Its from the same studios and people that did one of my favorite movie series, Pirates of the Caribbean, but i thought the concept behing Pirates is far better then Prince, and also allowed for more creativity. Taking a theme park ride allows for nearly an entire world to be created and a story to be formed. Taking a video game means there is already a world that needs to be inhabited and fans that want to be pleased.


So, I am expecting this movie to be entertaining none-the-less. A few reviewers and commentors around the web have called it a bit boring and dry at points. I certainly hope this is not the case as it looks so wonderful in the trailers. and, as a cosplayer, i think the COSTUMES look great in the movie! They also look accurate to what i've seen of the games

No comments:

Post a Comment