Saturday, June 5, 2010

Movie Reaction: Splice


I hestitate to call this a review, so I won't. Instead, this will be my reaction to the movie Splice, which I saw this afternoon. There is just no way I could write a decent enough review to something that left me going "WHAT THE H###!?" afterward.

When I first saw the Splice trailer months ago, it seemed like a new scientific/sci-fi take on cloning. I expected a lot of messages about playing God (and not to do it) and I think that this message was set up early on with dialogue from a minor character.

I also thought the movie would be more a thriller then it was, but I think the climatic, thrilling scene was enough after all the WTF-moments the movie has delievered...and it still kept punching the audience in the face till the very end.

Rape. Incest. Beastility. Playing creator. Messing with science. This movie should, as my boyfriend put it, be shown as a warning to all scientists/bio-chemists so they will not attempt splicing or cloning. The movie was pretty disturbing, but I think the creators had to know that because they continuously pushed the envelope...continuously...When viewers thought it could not get any worse, it did. The shocking ending just left a bad taste in my mouth and made me dislike the Elsa character even more.

Actually, there did not seem to be a likeable character in the entire movie. I thought they were all crazy and, excuse my language, fucked up.

Even with all the WTF-moments, disturbing scenes, and the questioning of what was just seen, kudos to everyone involved with the movie and taking it to the extreme. Its certainly one of those movies you should see ONCE. If you see it more then that then you should question yourself.

1 comment:

  1. My take on the characters changed as the movie went on. I started off disliking Clive at the beginning of the movie, but as it went on, I started to like him. The opposite was the case for me with Elsa and my dislike climaxed at the operation scene.

    ReplyDelete