Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) - Nintendo Stole the Show


Every year, the gaming world turns to E3 to find out what the latest in gaming will be for the coming year. The only thing last year’s show did for me was say Final Fantasy 13 would be released on the Xbox 360 - a marvelous announcement indeed! This year, I was thrilled the entire show as my eyes stayed glued to G4’s coverage and my constantly updated twitter feed.


After the disappointment that was Day 1, I was ready to hear what Nintendo would bring to the show. Microsoft was a bit of a letdown for me. I expected more to be said about any upcoming titles that they have coming out, but they mostly showed their new Kinetic. This did not really impress me in the slightest. The whole presentation was a bit cheesy as well. They did, however, shock me with the Xbox 360 Slim, which will be in stores as soon as this week or next week. The entire audience got new Slim’s as if Oprah herself was handing them out.

Nintendo’s conference, however, is the talk of the internet. It was incredibly informative about the games that they were playing and introduced more then 10 titles for the Wii and also showcased their Nintendo 3DS, a 3D portable console in which glasses do not need to be used. Amongst their titles, Nintendo is releasing several old faces including a new Legend of Zelda (Skyward Sword), new Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country Returns), and new Kirby (Kirby’s Epic Yarn), along with a host of other familiar franchises. Many say that Nintendo did not do anything but revitalize old franchises to get gamers excited, but it WORKED. They also introduced something new, Disney’s Epic Mickey, which looked incredibly stunning and fun.

Sony was next. They had the best presentation when they allowed Kevin Butler on stage. Other then that, there was quite a bit of teleprompter reading from others. They showcased their Playstation Move, which I have always thought of as a Wiimote rip-off. However, their presentation really was informative and I will definitely be giving this a try. The game that sold me on the Move was Sorcery, a magic based adventure game. It looked quite entertaining. Also, Heroes on the Move (working title) featuring such characters as Jak, Daxter, Sly, and others seems very fun. Their final announcement was a new Twisted Metal, which definitely sold me on giving the console a try this winter.

All in all, E3 was amazing this year. I enjoyed watching the coverage and cant wait to get my grubby little hands on everything that I fell in love with today.

From the womb to the tomb, I’m a gamer till I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment