Monday, June 7, 2010

Awards Show - MTV Movie Awards

This will quite possibly be my last year watching the MTV movie awards.

While I like to watch as many awards shows as I can possible stand - especially ones related to movies - the MTV awards show just does not seem to be to my liking. Typically, its the winners of awards that seems to make me roll my eyes. Even last year i made an entry about these dissapointing awards: http://jessichan99.livejournal.com/44139.html

Viewers can cast votes on MTV's site or through text message of who they want to win. Not just one vote...multiple votes. The awards should have a definent name change to something along the lines of a Viewers Choice awards. That would probably make me feel better since I do NOT think winners are chosen based on the content of their films or acting, but on how many fangirls can click a button.

That being said, here are the winners and my thoughts:

The Generation Award went to Sandra Bullock, which I thought was fitting and probably the most deserved award all night. Of course MTV had to do a girl-on-girl kiss between Sandra Bullock and Scarlett Johannsen. MTV just can not stay dignified for one second.

Biggest Badass Star went to Rain, who was also my pick for that category. I thought this award was deserved and Rain looked very happy to accept it. The other nominees which included Chris Pine and Angelina Jolie (for a movie that is not even out yet, may i add) with some other stars just did not compare to Rain's performace in Ninja Assassin. Incredibly badass. Congratulations Rain.

Best Scared as S--- award went to Amanda Seyfield for Jennifer's Body. I really thought Katie Featherson from Paranormal Activity would take this, but I should have known better that some cute, teenage-appealing star would. Don't get me wrong, Amanda Seyfield is great if you like that kind of stuff...

Best WTF Moment went to the Naked Trunk Surprise in The Hangover. I agreed that this was a huge WTF moment. The other nominees could not touch this.

Best Kiss went to New Moon. Second year in a row Twilight has taken this award. I also think that The Twilight Saga DOES have the Best Kisses and I actually did predict this win. Also MTV's Kiss Cam was very cute as Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens were put on and did a delightful little peck.

Best Villan went to Mr. Tom Felton a.k.a Draco Malfoy for his very villianous performance in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I thought Stephen Lang from Avatar would win this, but I'm glad Felton did. Half Blood Prince offered up a very dark - or should i say darker - change in his character and gave him a bit more screen time then the past Harry Potter movies. Considering he did his acceptance speech with Mark Walhberg and Will Ferall over his head, Felton is great guy.

Best Comedic Performance went to Zach Galifianakis from The Hangover. Very well deserved. There's really nothing else to say since I predicted his win and thought he was amazing in that movie. Very funny.

Best Breakout Star went to Anna Kendrick for Up in the Air. While I want to say that this award came about because she was wonderful in Up in the Air, I have a sneaking supicion that Twilight fangirls were amping up the votes for her, since she does appear in that franchise as well. I'm glad Kendrick is not letting that be the only thing she is known for - Twilight that is - and can not wait to see her in Scott Pilgrim later this summer.

Best Male and Best Female went to the leading stars of New Moon - Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. Robert also recieved the Global Superstar award in which THREE Twilight stars were up for (also Johnny Depp and Daniel Radcliff)

Best Movie. New Moon. Even with Avatar up for the award.

While I hate to cry FOUL again. Twilight was awarded so many huge awards during the show that it, again, should be called MTV's Twilight Awards. For the next two years, no one else should even be happy to be nominated for this awards show because they won't win if they go against Twilight.

I love Twilight. I've read all the books. More then once. I've brought merchandise. I'm excited for Eclipse and will be blogging about it in the coming weeks. I'm going to the midnight showing of the movie IN a self-made tshirt with my sister in a matching tshirt for Christ's Sake. I'm by no means one of those Twi-haters. HOWEVER, I am a movie fan and do not think the series deserves its praise movie wise. I do not think Kristen Stewart is a very incredible actress. I do think Robert and Taylor Lautner are good actors, but just not as good as someone like Johnny Depp or even Daniel Radcliff. Do i enjoy the films? Yes, because i love the franchise. Do i think the film is better then something like Avatar? No. Has anyone SEEN Avatar's numbers?! I do not even think the film is as great as a lot of films that have been released in the last couple of films. So, yes, I'm ranting about them winning so many awards two years in a row. Honestly, MTV, come up with a new voting system. Twilight is monopolizing your little, low-brow awards show.

No comments:

Post a Comment