Sunday, May 16, 2010

Don Cheadle on his role in Iron Man 2 - interview

In the June 2010 issue of Ebony magazine, Don Cheadle conducted an interview given by Adrienne Samuels Gibbs. Here's the questions relating to his most recent role:Gibbs: You get to blaze for real as the robot man War Machine in Iron Man 2. That had to be fun.Cheadle: Its cool. Its like being able to play with all the best toys, the high-end expensive toys. I read comic books as a kid and you don't ever think you'll be in a movie as a superhero, so its kind of fun to do.Gibbs: its a different kind of role for you, this sci-fi comic book thing.Cheadle: you just put your finger on it. Its different. It was an opportunity to be in a summer blockbuster.Gibbs: I heard there was some drama though. A few critics say you're a better Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes than Terrence Howard was in the first Iron Man.Cheadle: that's a recipe for disaster if you start reading that stuff or having any reaponse to it. I think we're different actors and its a shame that we're often presented with that sort of comparison. We're not building houses. And I'm sure a lot of people were bummed out about the switch. I hired him for the movie Crash and he did a great job in it. He started in Iron Man. It was something between the studio and his agents. I saw him very soon after it all went down and he was very cool with me and there was no rancor. I didn't expect any.The complete interview is in the magazine where Cheadle also talks about his role in Brooklyn's Finest and other things. Personally, I'd like to hear what Howard has to say about all the "drama" about the switch. Perhaps he's not allowed to say anything? Or maybe he has and I haven't seen it? Either way, the answer seems the kind of thing that will come out of the actor that replaced him's mouth. He was just in a blockbuster summer hit (which he's well aware of from his other answer) so I doubt he cares at all what happened between the studio and Howard's agents. Neither actor did an outstanding job in the role as Rhodey so I really do not have an opinion on the switch of the two actors. I just know its a little jarring in franchise movies when an actor is switched out (I.e. Evie's character in the 3rd Mummy movie *shudders*) whatever the case may be about the switch, with no clear reason as to why it was done, movie watchers can only speculate and wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment